Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 5 - I'm Yours

When I hear this song, I know that I love it. It makes me feel good, in the same way that all reggae beats so perfectly mimic the complimentary mother/baby heartbeat rhythms that soothe our souls and calm our minds.

When I first listened carefully to the lyrics, however, I thought they were lame. I wanted them to somehow be more meaningful and more artistically chosen/written. I wanted to love the significance of the song as much as I loved the sound of it. I didn't know anything about Jason Mraz, besides the assumption that he was a commercially driven, superficial American surfer dude whose catchy one-hit-wonder could be heard everywhere, from drifting across cottage country patios in Canadian summer to beachside backpacker huts year-round in Thailand, above the partying crowds of LKF in Hong Kong on a Friday night to the sterile daytime shopping malls of the world.

About as often as I think about what clothes I am wearing, I am reminded that my assumptions are rarely accurate. Today I learned that there is much more substance to the musician and to the song than I had previously realized. Turns out that Jason Mraz is real, self-actualized and intentional in his lifestyle. He spends his time on interesting and important projects like Free the Children, working with child slaves in Ghana, inspiring kids to appreciate the outdoors on Sesame St., eating raw food, gardening, raising cats (?) and taking care of his avocado farm in San Diego. He also devotes his time to raising musical awareness and preservation. All of this among many other things, I am sure, make Jason Mraz interesting.

Seeing the video for "I'm Yours" and absorbing the words in a different way, struck so many chords with me about my life right now. Setting out. Taking off. Believing that everything is going to be ok. Being open. Moving on. Hope. Making the most of each and every moment. Being free. Trust. Moments of self-realization, self-empowerment and self-improvement. Traveling. Leaving. Arriving. Making choices instead of plans. Love, Love, Love.

I'm Yours.



Well, you done done me and you bet I felt it
I tried to be chill but you're so hot that I melted
I fell right through the cracks, now I'm tryin to get back
before the cool done run out I'll be givin it my best test
and nothin's gonna stop me but divine intervention
I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some
But I won't hesitate no more, no more, it cannot wait
I'm yours
Well open up your mind and see like me
open up your plans and damn you're free
look into your heart and you'll find love, love, love, love
listen to the music at the moment people dance and sing
Were just one big family
And it's our godforsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved, loved
So, i won't hesitate no more, no more, it cannot wait i'm sure
there's no need to complicate our time is short, this is our fate
I'm yours
I've been spendin' way too long checkin' my tongue in the mirror
and bendin' over backwards just to try to see it clearer
But my breath fogged up the glass
and so I drew a new face and I laughed
I guess what I'd be sayin' is there ain't no better reason
to rid yourself of vanities and just go with the seasons
it's what we aim to do, our name is our virtue
But I won't hesitate no more, no more, it cannot wait
I'm yours
Well open up your mind and see like me
open up your plans and damn you're free
look into your heart and you'll find that the sky is yours...

No comments:

Post a Comment